Parents to stand trial for death of 6-year-old Khalil Wimes
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The parents of a Philadelphia boy who was allegedly starved and beaten to death will stand trial on murder charges.
Latiff Hadi and Tina Cuffie were in court for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday. They were previously known as Floyd and Tina Wimes.
Their son, 6-year-old Khalil Wimes, weighed just 30 pounds when he died back in March, approximately half the weight for a child his age.
Police say Khalil's parents drove him to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Hospital staff called 911 when they saw the boy and the condition he was in.
He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Action News later learned that Khalil was removed from his parents care when he was just a week old, but his parents eventually got him back, against the advice of case workers and other family members.
philadelphia, child death, child abuse, south philadelphia, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 8 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown 21 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
30 min ago