Driver charged with murder, DUI in Tacony accident
TACONY - April 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have charged a 26-year-old driver after a fatal accident that killed two people.
The accident occurred approximately at 8:22 a.m. Thursday along the 4600 block of Disston Street in the Tacony section of Philadelphia.
Police say a Chevrolet Camaro was traveling eastbound on Disston Street when it disregarded the stop sign at Ditman.
At that time, a Kia, police say, was traveling northbound on Ditman Street when it was struck on the driver side door at the intersection of Disston by the Chevrolet.
Police say the Kia caught on fire and the 26-year-old female driver and 31-year-old male passenger had to be extracted from the vehicle.
They were both pronounced dead at the scene.
The names of the victims have not been released pending family notification.
The driver of the Chevrelot has been identified as 26-year-old George Vidra from the 7800 block of Lorna Drive.
Vidra is charged with Driving Under the Influence and 2-counts of the following: Homicide by Vehicle, Homicide by Vehicle while DUI, Murder, and related offenses.
Harry Peters was driving his grandchildren to school and witnessed the crash.
"I seen the silver car coming across Ditman, and then it went airborne and landed right where it's at now," said Peters.
There were a number of people on the street who saw the aftermath of the crash.
"We just heard the explosion. We ran over and the car was on fire. We pulled them over there but they were dead already," said Barry Green.
"There were people circling around the car, neighbors and lawn care specialists, frantically circling the car. Then, I realized what they were doing. It took a while for the responders to get here but they were already gone," said Christina Pfeifer.
tacony, philadelphia, accident, DUI, local/state
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend 53 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 29 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 14 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet 33 min ago
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
53 min ago