The Roots to headline Wawa Welcome America concert
PHILADELPHIA - April 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia city officials announced Thursday that the Grammy-award-winning band The Roots will return to Eakins Oval this summer to lead the city's signature Fourth of July concert.
The Roots will headline the 2012 edition of the Philly 4th of July Jam. The Roots' drummer, Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson will serve as the concert's musical director. Joining the Roots for the concert will be musicians including Queen Latifah, Daryl Hall, Common and Joe Jonas.
"The Philly 4th of July Jam is the grand finale of our Wawa Welcome America! festival and the largest free concert in the United States," said Mayor Michael A. Nutter in a statement. "This year, it will be nothing short of spectacular."
Festival organizers say this year's visitors will be able to experience a wide variety of musical genres at the concert, from R&B and hip-hop to pop and more. As it has in past years, the Fourth of July concert will followed by a fireworks show over the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Leading up to the Philly 4th of July Jam concert is the day-long Party on the Parkway. The event begins at noon on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway from 20th Street to Eakins Oval, featuring several blocks of educational activities, games, entertainment and food until 7 p.m.
The festival will feature three themed music stages and a wealth of music programming throughout the day, sporting events, dozens of food vendors and a Go 4th and Learn area presented by Radio Disney. This is designed to bring education to life through interactive games, make-and-take arts and crafts, and a Radio Disney Music Stage.
LINK: Wawa Welcome America
philadelphia, wawa, welcome america, local/state
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 3 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 29 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 22 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 18 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
29 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
22 min ago