NJ couple celebrates 70 years of marriage
MT. LAUREL, N.J. - April 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- It has been 70 years of marriage for a Mount Laurel, New Jersey couple. That alone is extraordinary, but this husband and wife have been much more than just committed to one another.
Mildred and Phillip Kauffman are two of a kind devoted to each other, their community, and their family.
Phil is 94 years old, a World War II Army Sergeant and Mil is 91, a retired employee with the Philadelphia Inquirer.
They were married on April 26th, 1942, 70 years ago Thursday!
"How come we're married 70 years? We don't talk to each other," said Phil.
Phil is joking, of course. Both agree that good communication has been at the core of their marriage, which may not be true for a lot of couples today they say.
"They give up too easily," said Mil. "I think divorce is too easy to get today. You just can't get up and go, right Hon?"
When asked if it gets better with age, Phil said, "I don't know if it gets better. I don't know how much better it could get."
They say one thing that's strengthened their relationship is family.
They have two children who say their parents are their heroes.
"We're certainly blessed that my sister and I can say that Mildred and Phil Kaufman are truly our heroes," said Bruce Kaufman.
"What has made this work in our eyes? Love, dedication, loyalty, and patience," said Gwen Kaufman.
They also have four grandchildren.
"They have set the bar for what it takes to have a successful marriage," said grandson Brad Kaufman.
And there are two great grandchildren with a third on the way.
Phil said he could tell right away that Mil was the one for him. "You were so good looking," he said with a smile.
Mildred says it helps that her husband is so good-natured, and she admits, she sort of stole him from a girlfriend more than 7 decades ago.
And so we congratulate the Kaufman's on 70 years of wedded bliss, and wish them many more.
marriage, new jersey, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run 33 min ago
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting 52 min ago
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft 11 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish 32 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool 16 min ago
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
33 min ago
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas...
11 min ago
- Video released in pizza delivery driver...
52 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as...
16 min ago