South Jersey police shoot, kill barricaded man
BELLMAWR, NEW JERSEY - April 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Sources say a police officer shot and killed a man who had barricaded himself inside a South Jersey apartment.
It happened just before 10:00 p.m., on Thursday at Bellmawr Manor, on West Kings Highway in Bellmawr, Camden County.
At least three officers responded and discovered that 37-year-old Michael Wood was barricaded inside a relative's apartment.
Upon entering the apartment, officers found Wood holding a knife.
During the incident one of the officers fired his weapon.
The suspect was taken to Cooper University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The officer who shot Wood has been placed on administrative leave.
The incident remains under investigation.
new jersey, gloucester county, police, local/state
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 16 min ago
- Windy and cold today 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 20 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 48 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft 9 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 16 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 58 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
58 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
48 min ago