Family seeks closure for murdered son, father
PHILADELPHIA - April 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A $1,000 reward has been posted for information solving the ambush and slaying of a young North Philadelphia man a little more than 4-months ago.
"He loved his dad, too," said Katrina Crutchfield.
It is emotional time for Lemuel Coleman's family.
It was around 8:30pm on a Tuesday night, December 13th of last year in the 2700 block of Seltzer Street in North Philadelphia.
23 year old Lemuel Coleman had just come back from the store to buy items for his 3 year old son.
When he got to the door of his home and knocked, that's when his son's mother heard gunshots.
"She said, 'Mom, I tried to open the door. I tried to open the store, so he wouldn't get shot,'" said Jamella Best.
Coleman was shot multiple times including in the head and later died.
Neighbors told Police that Coleman didn't have any enemies, and some believe he was ambushed and that this may be a case of mistaken identity.
"There were two guys in my alley waiting. They watched him come back from the store," said Best.
The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $1,000 reward, and the City of Philadelphia is offering up to $20,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Citizens Crime Commission at 215-546-TIPS. Your call will be anonymous. Or you can call the Philadelphia Police Hotline at 215-686-TIPS.
"If you loved my son so much, and he was a good person, can you come forward and give us some type of information so we can get closure," said Best.
"It's not fair. My son needs his dad," said Crutchfield.
homicide, crimefighters, philadelphia, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine
8 min ago