NJ officer dies from motorcycle crash injuries
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) - April 28, 2012 -- Authorities say a veteran police officer has died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident on the New Jersey Turnpike.
Claude Racine was off-duty and wearing a helmet when the crash occurred late Wednesday on the turnpike's eastern spur in Jersey City. But the 44-year-old Paramus resident suffered a serious head injury and later died at a hospital.
A female passenger was also thrown from the motorcycle and seriously injured. But her injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Authorities say Racine was eastbound on his 2006 Harley-Davidson when the accident occurred. But it's still not clear what caused the crash.
Racine had served for more than 10 years with the Somerville Police Department. Colleagues there said he was known for his humor, charity work and generosity.
police officer killed, motorcycles, accident, new jersey, local/state
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy 52 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 40 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
40 min ago