Police shoot, kill Wilmington robbery suspect
WILMINGTON, Del. - April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a fight broke out between police and a robbery suspect in Wilmington, forcing an officer to use gunfire.
It happened around 11:30 Saturday night on the 100 block of West 9th Street.
A routine patrol officer reported seeing a suspect inside a vacant store.
The officer confronted the man who refused to listen and fled further into the store.
The incident continued into the basement of the building, where police say the suspect physically assaulted the officer.
After being unable to subdue the man, the officer was forced to fire his weapon.
The suspect - a man in his 20s - was pronounced dead at the scene.
The shooting is being investigated by Wilmington Police and the Attorney General's Office.
The officer was placed on Administrative Leave pending the investigations as per standard Departmental Policy.
No word yet on the slain suspect's identity.
shooting, police, delaware, wilmington, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 39 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 34 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 27 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 43 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
1 min ago