Police shoot, kill Wilmington robbery suspect
WILMINGTON, Del. - April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a fight broke out between police and a robbery suspect in Wilmington, forcing an officer to use gunfire.
It happened around 11:30 Saturday night on the 100 block of West 9th Street.
A routine patrol officer reported seeing a suspect inside a vacant store.
The officer confronted the man who refused to listen and fled further into the store.
The incident continued into the basement of the building, where police say the suspect physically assaulted the officer.
After being unable to subdue the man, the officer was forced to fire his weapon.
The suspect - a man in his 20s - was pronounced dead at the scene.
The shooting is being investigated by Wilmington Police and the Attorney General's Office.
The officer was placed on Administrative Leave pending the investigations as per standard Departmental Policy.
No word yet on the slain suspect's identity.
shooting, police, delaware, wilmington, local/state
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders 22 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera 4 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Man critically injured in hit-and-run in SW Philly
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote 43 min ago
- Co-host of HGTV show killed in motorcycle crash
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion