1-year-old dies in Berks Co. farm accident
KUTZTOWN, Pa. - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 1-year-old boy is dead after being pinned under a soil mixer at a Berks County farm.
The fatal incident occurred just before 5:00 p.m. Sunday at the Burkholder Farm Market on 630 Topton Road in Kutztown.
According to the coroner's office, the victim, identified as 18-month-old John Edward Burkholder, died from asphyxiation after accidentally turning the mixer on.
Neighbors in the community around the Burkholder Farm say they cannot imagine what the family is going through right now.
"I have eight grandkids and three kids. I can't even imagine that, losing a baby that young in life," said Donna Wharton.
The Burkholders are Old Order Mennonites, neighbors said, and have run the farm for three generations. The most common words used to describe them are hard-working, private and kind.
"I think they are great people and I feel really sorry for the tragedy that they're facing, the loss of a young child. That is horrific," said Bill Stoudt.
Investigators have already deemed this to be an accident.
pennsylvania, berks county, accident, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 1 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 9 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!