Temple student facing drug charges after home invasion
NORTH PHILADELPIA - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Temple University student is facing serious charges following a home invasion robbery at his home just off campus.
Around 9:30 Sunday night, police arrived to the home on the 1500 block of Page Street in North Philadelphia. Five Temple University students recounted to authorities how two armed masked men burst into the home and took their cash and cell phones. Authorities say a third man served as a lookout outside. They then fled south on 15th Street.
The students were not injured.
Authorities recognized the description of one of the suspects. He was found nearby at the intersection of 16th and Montgomery. According to police, the man put up a bit of a struggle and authorities were forced to use a stun gun in order to take him into custody.
The other two suspects remain at large.
Friends of the victims say at the time there was one female and four male students inside the house - two of the young men lived there. Temple University issued an alert to the student body describing the incident, saying that one of the home's occupants has been arrested for the possession of illegal drugs with the intent to deliver. The alert went on to say that the presence of illegal drugs is believed to be related to the incident.
The friends also say the incident happened quickly, and that their food delivery arrived just as the suspects darted out of the door. A friend of the female victim tells Action News, "She said three guys in hoodies came in with their hoods up, covered up. They said, 'this is just going to be quick, we just want your money.'"
A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, told Action News, "We're terrified. Why would they choose that house over ours? Four girls live here. We don't have any sort of protection. You know what I mean?"
According to authorities, the front door of the students' home was not locked. Police say these types of instances are a concern and warn students to lock their doors and windows. The investigation continues.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, home invasion, robbery, temple, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police ID victim in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run 1 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Police ID victim in deadly Wilmington...
1 min ago