Bricklayer electrocuted in Fairmount
FAIRMOUNT - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A bricklayer was electrocuted in a construction accident on Monday afternoon in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia.
Construction workers looked on as investigators arrived on the scene around 1:00 p.m. at 20th and Parrish.
Chopper 6 HD was over the scene and captured images of a body on the ground.
The victim was one of the crew members laying bricks at a new construction site. The scaffolding they were working from was positioned between power lines, which were covered with a protective plastic insulation, and the new building.
Witnesses told Action News the victim was raising a bucket filled with mortar to the highest point on the scaffolding. The bucket was swinging and somehow it came in contact with the charged powerline.
That's when the victim reached out for the bucket and was electrocuted.
"The hook on the bucket hit the wire causing him to be shocked - electrocuted - and he fell head first," said Mersedes Stephens.
"The hook from the bucket went into the plastic part of the wires and hit the wires," said Michael Mayberry. "When he went for the bucket, the current hit him. It let out a buzz sound and he fell and hit his head on the ground."
Witnesses said the man was breathing for a few minutes, but paramedics could not save him.
A man at the scene who said he was bricklayer's brother told us the bricklayer was about 30 years old.
Witnesses said they had worried about the scaffolding's close proximity to the electrical wires but never imagined this.
"Yeah, it is pretty close," said Stephens. "You always think they may be in danger, but never&. This is horrible."
PECO, Licenses and Inspection and Philadelphia Police remained on the scene Monday afternoon investigating.
philadelphia, accident, construction accident, electric shock, 6at4, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 54 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 45 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 56 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
49 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
56 min ago