Teen says he was tasered by police in Colwyn Borough, Pa.
COLWYN, Pa. - May 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating the use of a taser against an underage suspect while in the custody of Colwyn Borough Police.
17-year-old Da'Qwaun Jackson was arrested last Tuesday for refusing to cooperate with police regarding a fight he witnessed along the 500 block of South 3rd Street.
The arresting officer brought him in and locked Da'Qwaun in a holding cell inside police headquarters.
Da'Qwaun says that's when he lost it, and started yelling.
"I was like, 'You're wrong, you're wrong. I didn't do nothing, I didn't do nothing,'" he told Action News.
Da'Qwaun says he never expected what would happen next.
"The cell was closed. He had to get the key. And he opened it. And then he tasered me right in front of another cop," he said.
The officer's incident report makes no mention of a stun gun being used any time during the arrest.
In fact, Action News has learned that Colwyn Police brass didn't even know about it until four days later, when police officials heard other officers discussing the incident in the front office.
A follow-up report was written after an interview was conducted with the officer who witnessed what happened
In part, the report says,"The witness states that it was disturbing to witness the officer tase Jackson. The witness stated that he was so upset, that he advised his girlfriend when he arrived home after his tour of duty. The witness stated he neglected to notify a superior due to the fact that he feared for his job."
We spoke with Colwyn Deputy Police Chief Wendell Reed who says it is his understanding that Jackson was screaming obscenities and kicking the inside of the cell before the taser was used.
But Reed stopped short of labeling the officer's actions as either excessive or appropriate.
"Any use of force should be investigated to make sure the department is following its procedures that are in place to make sure there was no over-excessiveness of force used," said Reed.
pennsylvania, taser, police, delaware county, teens, local/state, walter perez
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ