Elderly sisters fight off carjacker in Hamilton Twp., New Jersey
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - May 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- "Oh, they're terrific. This is an episode out of 'Law and Order.'"
That's Hamilton Township Police Sgt. Robert Miktus talking about the two elderly sisters who fought off a carjacker Sunday morning in the parking lot of a CVS on Route 33.
When they got in their car there was a man in the back pointing a knife at them.
"The driver, who's 94 years old, she threw her arm back to block him, to block the knife," said Miktus. "In the meantime the other sister, 92-year-old sister, in the passenger seat, she jumped from the car waved her arms and started screaming, attracting attention."
When a bystander approached the car, the suspect took off across Route 33. A surveillance camera at the Lukoil caught pictures believed to be of the suspect running from the scene.
27-year-old Sergio Fernando Solorzano-Vasquez of Trenton was arrested shortly after. He's being held on $150,000 bail facing robbery, carjacking and other charges.
"Don't mess around with the old ladies okay?" said Terry Stoy of Hamilton Township. "We might be old, but we're not stupid and we're not weak. God bless 'em, I hope they live to 150. We need more of them!"
People like Terry Stoy are applauding how Hamilton's mystery Golden Girls gave it to the carjacker.
"They stood up for themselves," Barbara Ciringione told Action News. "I have to give them& I'd like to shake their hand because people need to do that."
Police say the 94-year-old had a sore arm after she elbowed the carjacker but refused treatment.
They wouldn't talk, so we know very little about the publicity-shy sisters. But we do know one thing: you don't mess with them!
new jersey, carjacking, mercer county, local/state, nora muchanic
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police