Police: Delco teacher locked son, 3, in car at a bar
HAVERFORD, Pa. - May 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- A high school teacher from Delaware County is accused of leaving his young son alone in a car while he went to watch a band in a bar.
Keith Barnes, 50, has been a teacher in the Haverford School District for 25 years.
Police say Barnes went to a bar on Saturday night to see the band Blackthorn with his two sons, a three-year-old and a four-year-old.
Barnes allegedly told police the three-year-old was fussing, so he took him outside and locked him in a car. A passerby spotted the child and called police.
Responding officers said it was a cold night as they tried to open the door. Barnes came out a short time later and unlocked the car for them.
Police say the child had been in the car for about 20 minutes.
When the police questioned Barnes, they say he didn't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation. Police say Barnes kept repeating that he's a musician and Blackthorn is a national act.
Police arrested Barnes and charged him with child endangerment and disorderly conduct. They say he had also been drinking and was close to the legal limit when he came outside to check on his son.
His wife answered the door on Wednesday at their home in Rutledge and said he wasn't home.
Barnes teaches technology courses at Haverford High School.
The district says he has been removed from the classroom pending the results of an internal investigation.
pennsylvania, delaware county, local/state
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 35 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow 20 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc 31 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
1 min ago