Spirit Airlines to charge $100 for some carry-ons
PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - May 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Travelers trying to save money by bringing bags on the plane could be in for a rude awakening. Carry-on luggage will soon carry a hefty price tag on one airline.
Spirit Airlines announced it will soon be charging a $100 fee for bags going into an overhead bin. But only certain customers will have to dig deeper.
"I think that seems excessive," said George Baird of Malvern, Pa.
Excessive is mild compared to what some carry-on baggage travelers had to say about Spirit Airlines' announcement that soon it will cost some of their passengers $100 each way to put baggage in the overhead bin.
"You're paying so much just to get there to begin with, why are you paying more for your bags? I don't like it, Vernon!" said Bonnie Stecznski of Hainesport, N.J.
"I think that's criminal because they're charging enough in terms of fees and all the other ancillary charges you get hit with traveling nowadays," said Mike Summers of Atlanta, Ga.
Spirit already charges $45 for a carry-on bag. But beginning November 6th they say customers who pay the fee at the boarding gate will have to fork over $100.
Any bag that needs to fit in the overhead bin is considered a carry-on. Any bag that fits under the seat in front of you will remain free of charge.
"I don't think it's a ripoff. They need to do something to curb the overusage of carry-on luggage," said Mitchell Gorham of Indianapolis, Ind.
The fee will stay at $45 if passengers pay at the airport counter or a kiosk. A carry-on that's paid for at booking will go from $30 to $35 dollars. If pay for it during an online check-in, it will soar from $35 to $40.
Spirit is one of two domestic carriers that charge for carry-on bags.
"If they're going to charge for carry-ons, why not just change the price of your ticket? They nickel-and-dime you," said Nicole Salter of Jamison, Pa.
Spirit's fee system so far is paying off for the stockholders anyway. First quarter profits are reported up 30% compared to last year.
"Why should you have to pay for a carry-on bag?" said Levire Williams of Columbia, Mo.
"It's appalling. If they're going to charge for carry-on luggage, we'll just avoid that airline completely," said Susan Spadafora of Richboro, Pa.
philadelphia, air travel, philadelphia international airport, spirit airlines, local/state, vernon odom
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 1 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more