Goodwill Industries program of services
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- You probably think of Goodwill Industries for its thrift stores, but those are just one facet of a broad program of services that are all geared to helping the special needs population and others find meaningful employment.
When you shop at a Goodwill store, and when you donate items, you're taking part in the process. But there's a lot more to Goodwill's story, and during this Goodwill Industries Week, we're spotlighting the totality of the program.
We took the Action Cam to one of their larger stores in Stratford, New Jersey, where the selection is big and donations are computerized.
When a client visits the donation center there, a kiosk may be used to log everything donated.
You set up an account with your address and phone number. Then, on future visits, you tap in your phone number and you're up and running. A receipt is printed for each transaction.
More...exclusive donate software lets you go online from anywhere and view your receipts...even print a copy for income tax purposes.
Goodwill is "green". Items of clothing which cannot be offered for sale are recycled for rag content. They also accept used electronic items like computers which, if not functional, are dismantled and kept out of the waste stream. Many companies would charge you for that service but it's free to you at Goodwill.
Many people are employed running the store and the back-of-the-house operation which maintains it. But Goodwill has other programs
A classroom at their Stratford location contracts with area school districts to train bus drivers. They get all the safety and highway elements you'd expect. But they also get computer training and other job skill education.
Stores in Stratford and Maple Shade, New Jersey also have walk-in job centers where anyone...special needs or not...may get career counseling on interviews and resumes, and learn how to go online to look for work.
Guests are welcome to use computers there as often as they like, just as you would at your neighborhood library. Not all Goodwill locations offer all services..
philadelphia, pennsylvania, new jersey, delaware, delaware county, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 28 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 34 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 26 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 12 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm