Goodwill Industries program of services
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- You probably think of Goodwill Industries for its thrift stores, but those are just one facet of a broad program of services that are all geared to helping the special needs population and others find meaningful employment.
When you shop at a Goodwill store, and when you donate items, you're taking part in the process. But there's a lot more to Goodwill's story, and during this Goodwill Industries Week, we're spotlighting the totality of the program.
We took the Action Cam to one of their larger stores in Stratford, New Jersey, where the selection is big and donations are computerized.
When a client visits the donation center there, a kiosk may be used to log everything donated.
You set up an account with your address and phone number. Then, on future visits, you tap in your phone number and you're up and running. A receipt is printed for each transaction.
More...exclusive donate software lets you go online from anywhere and view your receipts...even print a copy for income tax purposes.
Goodwill is "green". Items of clothing which cannot be offered for sale are recycled for rag content. They also accept used electronic items like computers which, if not functional, are dismantled and kept out of the waste stream. Many companies would charge you for that service but it's free to you at Goodwill.
Many people are employed running the store and the back-of-the-house operation which maintains it. But Goodwill has other programs
A classroom at their Stratford location contracts with area school districts to train bus drivers. They get all the safety and highway elements you'd expect. But they also get computer training and other job skill education.
Stores in Stratford and Maple Shade, New Jersey also have walk-in job centers where anyone...special needs or not...may get career counseling on interviews and resumes, and learn how to go online to look for work.
Guests are welcome to use computers there as often as they like, just as you would at your neighborhood library. Not all Goodwill locations offer all services..
philadelphia, pennsylvania, new jersey, delaware, delaware county, local/state
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay 25 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft 55 min ago
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire 47 min ago
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet 56 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million 57 min ago
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Wintry Weekend
51 min ago