Fast food, trendy dishes with a vegan twist
PHILADELPHIA - May 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's the latest trend to hit the fast food craze with a healthy twist.
Hip City Veg at 127 South 18th Street opened its doors in April to plenty of hungry customers with a taste for something new. In fact, the Philadelphia eatery is so popular; it ran out of food on its first day. The key to the kind of food served at this restaurant is all in the name.
"I wanted to introduce same flavors we get from American fare and put it in a vegan 100 percent plant based menu," said Nicole Marquis, the restaurant's owner.
Hip vegan fast food prepares gourmet style with everything from Udon Noodle Salad to the Crispy Hip City Ranch.
Can't forget the Organic Green Smoothies! It's sure to quench the thirst of the health conscious and even attract meat loving converts.
Bob Steinberg admits he does sneak a little fish into his diet.
"There's actually not a lot of options if you're vegetarian or semi-vegetarian. I'm really glad this opened up here," he said.
Hip City Veg doesn't just stop with feeding customers healthy food. Everything in this fast food restaurant is eco-friendly right down to the recycled plastic bottle chairs.
Down the road at 1521 Spruce Street, the green movement continues with Russet - a farm to table BYOB in Rittenhouse Square.
Husband and wife owners Andrew and Kristen Wood work side by side in the kitchen.
They are both inspired by healthy ingredients made locally, so the menu changes with the harvest.
"We deal with local farmers...buy food, protein within 100 miles give or take," said Andrew.
The style is simple and rustic that showcases natural flavors and locally grown ingredients.
Both restaurants have delicious dishes with a healthy twist that's sure to have you coming back for another bite.
philadelphia, food, local/state, melissa magee
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 41 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 38 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 42 min ago
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 40 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 36 min ago
- Pennsylvania Turnpike pileup exposed gaps, officials say 5 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures