Pa. Christian school principal faces sex charges
READING, Pa. - May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- The former principal of a Berks County school is accused of carrying on a sexual relationship with a student.
Former Berks Christian School principal 39-year-old Franklin Love of Shillington faces a string of charges including a felony count of Institutional Sexual Assault which is a new state statute that only went into effect this past January.
"This offense specifically outlaws sexual relationships between school employees and students in our secondary schools," Berks County DA John Adams said.
Investigators say the intimate relationship between the former principal and a 17-year-old student began back in November.
Police say a few weeks ago, another student caught a glimpse of an inappropriate text Love allegedly sent to the victim.
Adams says a short time after the inappropriate relationship came to light, Love confessed to school officials and resigned.
Investigators have since interviewed the victim who told then the relationship was consensual.
The Affidavit also reveals that she told authorities, "the majority of the sexual encounters occurred late at night, at her home, after her mother retired for bed."
Action News went to Mr. Love's home in Shillington but no one answered the door.
His neighbors tell us Love is the kind of guy who seemed to have the perfect family life.
"Him and his daughter were just here maybe a month ago, collecting shoes for their school; it's unbelievable," neighbor Donna Clemens said.
Meantime, the District Attorney says these kinds of cases never cease to shock him.
"Unethical, illegal, just some of the words I would use to describe it, and morally wrong," Adams said.
Action News is told Love is cooperating with authorities and has been released on his recognizance as he awaits his next court date.
child sex assault, school, berks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- School Closings & Delays
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 50 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow 35 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc 46 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
15 min ago
- Kenneth Moton reports from King of Prussia
48 min ago
- Amy Buckman reports from South Philadelphia
35 min ago
- Annie McCormick reports from Blackwood, NJ
27 min ago