Pa. Christian school principal faces sex charges
READING, Pa. - May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- The former principal of a Berks County school is accused of carrying on a sexual relationship with a student.
Former Berks Christian School principal 39-year-old Franklin Love of Shillington faces a string of charges including a felony count of Institutional Sexual Assault which is a new state statute that only went into effect this past January.
"This offense specifically outlaws sexual relationships between school employees and students in our secondary schools," Berks County DA John Adams said.
Investigators say the intimate relationship between the former principal and a 17-year-old student began back in November.
Police say a few weeks ago, another student caught a glimpse of an inappropriate text Love allegedly sent to the victim.
Adams says a short time after the inappropriate relationship came to light, Love confessed to school officials and resigned.
Investigators have since interviewed the victim who told then the relationship was consensual.
The Affidavit also reveals that she told authorities, "the majority of the sexual encounters occurred late at night, at her home, after her mother retired for bed."
Action News went to Mr. Love's home in Shillington but no one answered the door.
His neighbors tell us Love is the kind of guy who seemed to have the perfect family life.
"Him and his daughter were just here maybe a month ago, collecting shoes for their school; it's unbelievable," neighbor Donna Clemens said.
Meantime, the District Attorney says these kinds of cases never cease to shock him.
"Unethical, illegal, just some of the words I would use to describe it, and morally wrong," Adams said.
Action News is told Love is cooperating with authorities and has been released on his recognizance as he awaits his next court date.
child sex assault, school, berks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ