U.S. letter carriers help stamp out hunger
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Postal workers across the country are teaming up to collect more than your mail this weekend. They are asking everyone to leave a food donation to help stamp out hunger.
"While we're delivering our normal mail we'll be picking up bags of food," said letter carrier Kathleen Raroha.
While Kathleen travels her Clementon route this Saturday, she'll be among the 210,000 letter carriers across the country collecting food donations and delivering them to local food banks.
The National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) joined The Campbell Soup Company in Camden to kick off the 20th annual Stamp Out Hunger initiative, the nation's largest single-day food drive.
"We're the only people that go to each house day to day, and that is why we see the need," said NALC representative Linda Giordano.
This year's drive is already off to a good start. Letter carriers were loading part of the one million pound food donation Campbell's has pledged to Feeding America.
"It's very much in our DNA to work in our local communities, and particularly in Camden where we're headquartered," said Campbell Soup Co. President and CEO Denise Morrison. "And we've made a commitment to reduce hunger and obesity by 50-percent by the year 2020."
It's as easy as leaving a bag of non-perishable food items by your mailbox or at your post office.
The CEO of the Food Bank of South Jersey says the need is great. She explains spring is a critical time for food banks, as holiday food donations have depleted and many children will soon be out of school for the summer.
"These kids know that they won't have the school breakfast and lunch program," said Food Bank CEO Val Traore. "They rely upon that for 42 weeks of the year. Now for 10 weeks, they're going to struggle along with their parents on how to provide those two extra meals."
Bags of food will be delivered to some households while others can fill their own bags. What's important is giving whatever you can.
new jersey, camden, u.s. postal service, campbell's soup, local/state, katherine scott
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
20 min ago