Moving day for Tent City in Bristol
BRISTOL, Pa. - May 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was moving day for a group of homeless people in Bristol, Bucks County.
As work crews moved to clear trees, the remaining homeless packed up their belongings and departed.
Bill DiNardo known as Papa Bear collapsed his ramshackle dwelling of three years.
"Sad, sad day. Everybody's been down all week and now everybody's separating," DeNardo said.
Among those encouraging DiNardo today was a pair of boyhood friends who knew him from long before the 63-year-old became homeless
"He would have been a married man living in the suburbs, running a video store or deli, I think there were some business failure along the way," childhood friend Bill DeMarco said.
Mike Bidwell, moved by DiNardo's plight, is providing him with a room.
"I hope someone would do it for me if I was in the same position, could be any one of us," Bidwell said.
The others who moved out today are staying outside for now at other suburban homeless encampments.
Some are veterans and a local advocate is working to get them housing.
"Everybody deserves proper housing. Nobody should be out in the woods if they don't want to be," advocate Mike Appell said.
A faith based group called The Way Home is working with four or five others who are not veterans.
"That starts the process of moving toward self-sufficiency which is the goal of The Way Home," James Richardson said.
As for how successful this undertaking will be?
"If you are going to walk on water, you have to step out of the boat. I'm going to be real optimistic, and say it's going to be very good prognosis," Clyde Beury of The Way Home said.
At its peak, it's estimated there were 20 to 25 people at Tent City.
A warehouse is planned to be built on the site.
pennsylvania, bucks county, homeless, local/state, john rawlins
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees