Man shot 7 times in Upper Darby driveway
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the gunmen who ambushed a man as he exited his car right outside his Delaware County home.
The victim, identified as 25-year-old Khayree Reid of Upper Darby, was rushed to The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
Authorities say Reid was shot at least seven times in the driveway of his own home while his girlfriend and little boy were inside.
Just before 12:30 a.m. Wednesday Upper Darby police were called out to the 7200 block of Parkview Road for the report of shots fired. When they arrived they found Reid in the front driveway shot numerous times.
Police believe the victim arrived home and had started to get out of his car when he was ambushed by one or two gunmen who came along the side of him and opened fire.
Police believe the suspects fled in a dark colored sedan.
Why Reid was shot remains unclear, but authorities say it does look like a hit.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood tells Action News, "We're very, very early into the investigation, but again, it looks like he was targeted. And whoever the shooter or shooters were, were laying in wait for him to come home."
There is no word yet on if there was any surveillance footage in the area. Police are speaking with neighbors trying to learn more information.
If you have any information about this case you are asked to contact Upper Darby police.
upper darby, delaware county, shooting, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home 26 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Police raid alleged chop shop in South Philadelphia 34 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep