Police seek 'person of interest' in Jiffy Lube killing in Philadelphia
PORT RICHMOND - May 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police tell Action News they have identified a person of interest in the fatal shooting of a Jiffy Lube worker in Port Richmond.
The shooting happened around 5:40 p.m. Wednesday at the Jiffy Lube in the 3600 block of Aramingo Avenue near Castor.
Police have identified the victim as 40-year-old Samuel Rivera.
They say the Jiffy Lube employee was pulling a customer's car into a bay when the shooter walked up from the back of the shop.
"The investigation is revealing that the employee got into some type of verbal altercation with an unidentified male," said Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark. "This went on for a few minutes. Then this male pulled out a gun and fired several times, striking and killing him."
The Jiffy Lube was shut down Thursday. A sign hung on the front door apologizing for the inconvenience.
Police say the shooter targeted Rivera. It was not random and not connected to the business. Two sources close to the investigation say the shooting is domestic in nature and revenge appears to be the motive. For what, they wouldn't say.
"We believe we've identified a person of interest," said Clark. "We are working the investigation directed at that person and hopefully within the next couple hours we will have identified him and have a warrant out for his arrest."
Rivera's brother arrived at the oil shop late Thursday morning looking for answers. He says his brother was a single father, working hard to raise his teenage son.
"Why would they want to hurt my brother," said Robert Colon. "My brother is a hard-working man. The only thing he does is work and come home, work and come home."
"Always on time," said Jiffy Lube manager Mervin Minter. "And this guy is really going to be missed. He's not just an employee but became a friend of mine over the years."
Minter tells Action News that Jiffy Lube has agreed to pay for Rivera's funeral.
philadelphia, port richmond, shooting, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies