Graduates flood Broad Street for Temple Commencement
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of families converged on North Philadelphia on Thursday to celebrate graduation day at Temple University.
The class of 2012 filed into the Liacouras Center for the 125th commencement. It's the largest graduating class in the school's history with more than 8,600 bachelor, graduate, and first professional degrees.
"I would definitely rate my experience at Temple a 10, and I would do it all over again if I could," Odera Ekwunife of Blue Bell.
The graduates come from more than 40 states and 82 nations. Hometowns might be varied, but the pride is constant.
Antinuke Omolara from Kissimee, Florida says, "My parents are from Nigeria. They came to this country about 20-30 years ago. So, I'm the first generation Nigerian. It's a really big accomplishment for my family."
"At age 26 I had my first daughter, I got my associate's degree, I realized I needed more," said Sol Vazquez of Rochester, New York. So, Vazquez enrolled at Temple to get her bachelor's degree, with the hope of not only providing for her daughter, but setting a good example. Now Sol has a job and her daughter already has plans for college. When asked why she wanted to go to college, Ros Vazuez said "So I can be like mommy."
Temple awarded an honorary degree to Philadelphia native and Temple alumnus Larry Magid who opened the world-famous electric factory.
Taking inspiration from Magid, another famous Temple alum, Dr. Bill Cosby, had some advice for budding entrepreneurs in the crowd, saying, "I would advise that if you have any idea, especially if you're moving back home with your parents, don't use their money. Start out small, but become an entrepreneur."
north philadelphia, philadelphia, temple university, college, local/state
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's