Police: Dad in Pittsgrove crash had narcotics in system
PITTSGROVE, N.J. - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say the dad involved in a fatal crash on Wednesday in Pittsgrove, New Jersey, that killed both him and his son, had narcotics in his system.
New Jersey State Police revealed those preliminary findings on Thursday, based on initial toxicology tests.
However, the exact nature of the narcotics found in the system of 37-year-old Kevin Shelton wouldn't be available for a few weeks, police said.
In addition, police said, neither Shelton, his son 5-year-old son Cole nor his 3-year-old daughter, Cassidy, were wearing seatbelts. Cole and Cassidy were in boosters seats, police said.
Kevin Shelton and Cole Shelton were killed in crash. Cassidy Shelton was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
Shelton, of Pittsgrove, was driving westbound on Route 40 when the crash occurred around 7:00 a.m. Wednesday in the Salem County community.
Authorities say it appears Shelton's car crossed over the center line and slammed into a tractor trailer.
The vehicles collided with such force parts of the car were imbedded into the front of the 18 wheeler.
The truck's driver told a witness he kept thinking the car would return to his proper lane.
"He just said the guy kept coming over and over in his lane and there was nothing he could do," witness Harrison Godshall said.
A person who knows the family said Shelton and the children moved back to his parent's home after Cole and Cassidy's mom suffered a severe debilitating health issue.
Robert Peck, a 47-year-old Tennessee resident who was driving the truck, was not injured. He was hauling a load of paper.
new jersey, salem county, accident, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 2 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 31 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 29 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 51 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos