Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta underway on the Schuylkill River
PHILADELPHIA - May 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of college crew teams are in town as a great rowing tradition returns to Philadelphia.
Cheers rang out across the Schuylkill River as qualifying races for the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta got underway on Friday morning.
More than 3,500 student athletes from 118 colleges and universities are competing this weekend on the 2,000 meter course, two miles north of Boat House Row.
"This one has a lot of history with rowing in general with John Kelly and the Schuylkill Navy," said Emily Henderson of Carnegie Mellon University. "It's great to be on the river itself."
"It's really the best race we go to. You can tell by just looking around so many vendors, almost like a carnival like atmosphere," said Angelo Labate of Fordham University.
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter joined sponsors and supporters to welcome the largest collegiate regatta in North America.
"The city truly treasures, of course, this entire weekend," said Mayor Nutter.
Some of these student-athletes have rowed for years while others began their careers at college. It's a sport these athletes and parents have seen grow in popularity.
"I think it's growing, especially in Michigan where we have a lot of water, you see more and more teams getting larger, getting more active and more involved," said Susan and Mike Marshall, parents of a Grand Valley State student.
"In my home town of Pittsburgh it's become a really popular sport, versus the typical football and basketball. Even at school we're being recognized more for our successes," said Alaina Puff of Bucknell University.
philadelphia, dad vail regatta, local/state
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- School Closings & Delays
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 47 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow 32 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc 43 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
12 min ago
- Kenneth Moton reports from King of Prussia
45 min ago
- Amy Buckman reports from South Philadelphia
32 min ago
- Annie McCormick reports from Blackwood, NJ
24 min ago