Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta underway on the Schuylkill River
PHILADELPHIA - May 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of college crew teams are in town as a great rowing tradition returns to Philadelphia.
Cheers rang out across the Schuylkill River as qualifying races for the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta got underway on Friday morning.
More than 3,500 student athletes from 118 colleges and universities are competing this weekend on the 2,000 meter course, two miles north of Boat House Row.
"This one has a lot of history with rowing in general with John Kelly and the Schuylkill Navy," said Emily Henderson of Carnegie Mellon University. "It's great to be on the river itself."
"It's really the best race we go to. You can tell by just looking around so many vendors, almost like a carnival like atmosphere," said Angelo Labate of Fordham University.
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter joined sponsors and supporters to welcome the largest collegiate regatta in North America.
"The city truly treasures, of course, this entire weekend," said Mayor Nutter.
Some of these student-athletes have rowed for years while others began their careers at college. It's a sport these athletes and parents have seen grow in popularity.
"I think it's growing, especially in Michigan where we have a lot of water, you see more and more teams getting larger, getting more active and more involved," said Susan and Mike Marshall, parents of a Grand Valley State student.
"In my home town of Pittsburgh it's become a really popular sport, versus the typical football and basketball. Even at school we're being recognized more for our successes," said Alaina Puff of Bucknell University.
philadelphia, dad vail regatta, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip 47 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 34 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
39 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
34 min ago