Tredyffrin Twp. officer struck by sports car
TREDYFFRIN TWP., Pa. - May 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Tredyffrin Township officer is out of the hospital after being struck by a passing car Friday night.
Officer Lawrence Meoli, a 26-year vet of the force, sustained head, chest and arm injuries when he was hit by a speeding Porsche, according to police.
Meoli was airlifted to the Hospital Of The University Of Pennsylvania for treatment. Investigators tell Action News that he has been released to the care of his family.
Meoli was hit on Old Eagle School Road in Tredyffrin, shortly after eight o'clock last night. He was struck after responding to an alarm that went off at a residence at 73 Old Eagle School Road near Forest Lane.
The officer was walking back to his vehicle that was parked on the southbound side of the road. Officers noticed the Porsche, driven by Bennett Colesberry the third, of Wayne, going at a high rate of speed and warned him to slow down. Seconds later, the Porsche slammed into Meoli.
Colesberry did stop at the scene.
Colesberry is charged with drug possession, recklessly endangering another person, and other offenses. Investigators have not said if alcohol played a role in the incident.
Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan said it's "a miracle" that officer Meoli was not killed.
police, accident, pennsylvania, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ