Body found in Juniata ID'd, friend missing
JUNIATA PARK - May 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- An investigation continues into the death of a young mother whose body was found in Philadelphia over the weekend. Meanwhile, the man she was last seen with remains missing.
The badly decomposed body of 23-year-old Melanie Colon was found in a wooded area off Maple Lane in the Juniata Park section of the city Saturday. She suffered from multiple gunshot wounds.
Melanie, the mother of a 4-year-old, was last seen about a week ago when she went for a car ride with family friend Reynaldo Torres. The Mazda they were driving in ended up being recovered a few days later in Feltonville.
After Colon's body was found on Saturday, investigators said there were no signs of sexual assault, but she had been shot at least 6 times.
Investigators returned to Maple Lane today searching for the body of Reynaldo Torres, but to no avail. His whereabouts remain unknown.
Melanie's father, Louis Colon says he feels like a character in a horror movie.
"I don't understand. How can you take someone's life like that, you know what I mean? So man evil people, man," he said.
Melanie's brother, Louis Jr., says he simply cannot imagine who could do something like this.
"No drug deals - all she ever did was try to work and give her life to her son," he said.
So far, Torres is still considered missing, and is not a suspect in this case. That is no comfort to Louis Colon, Sr. who says what he wants now is the truth.
"I want justice, I want justice. I don't want anyone else to die, I don't want no violence, I just want justice," he said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477) of submit a tip through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, juniata, body found, shooting, local/state
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders 25 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today 3 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 5 min ago
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera 13 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender 24 min ago
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Man critically injured in hit-and-run in SW Philly
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Co-host of HGTV show killed in motorcycle crash
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion