Body found in Juniata ID'd, friend missing
JUNIATA PARK - May 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- An investigation continues into the death of a young mother whose body was found in Philadelphia over the weekend. Meanwhile, the man she was last seen with remains missing.
The badly decomposed body of 23-year-old Melanie Colon was found in a wooded area off Maple Lane in the Juniata Park section of the city Saturday. She suffered from multiple gunshot wounds.
Melanie, the mother of a 4-year-old, was last seen about a week ago when she went for a car ride with family friend Reynaldo Torres. The Mazda they were driving in ended up being recovered a few days later in Feltonville.
After Colon's body was found on Saturday, investigators said there were no signs of sexual assault, but she had been shot at least 6 times.
Investigators returned to Maple Lane today searching for the body of Reynaldo Torres, but to no avail. His whereabouts remain unknown.
Melanie's father, Louis Colon says he feels like a character in a horror movie.
"I don't understand. How can you take someone's life like that, you know what I mean? So man evil people, man," he said.
Melanie's brother, Louis Jr., says he simply cannot imagine who could do something like this.
"No drug deals - all she ever did was try to work and give her life to her son," he said.
So far, Torres is still considered missing, and is not a suspect in this case. That is no comfort to Louis Colon, Sr. who says what he wants now is the truth.
"I want justice, I want justice. I don't want anyone else to die, I don't want no violence, I just want justice," he said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477) of submit a tip through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, juniata, body found, shooting, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police