Openings set in 2011 Pa. officer killing trial
EASTON, Pa. - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Opening statements are set to begin in the murder trial of a Pennsylvania man accused of killing a police officer last summer.
Authorities say George Hitcho Jr. killed Freemansburg police officer Robert Lasso as Lasso responded to a complaint at Hitcho's home on Aug. 11.
Police say Lasso was trying to fend off Hitcho's dogs while responding to a disturbance call when Hitcho shot him in the head with a shotgun.
Hitcho's attorneys say they don't dispute their client killed Lasso, but told prospective jurors they'll be asked to consider if his actions were premeditated.
The defense has previously said it may argue Hitcho has diminished mental capacity.
Prosecutors say they'll pursue the death penalty if Hitcho is convicted of first-degree murder.
police officer killed, homicide, pennsylvania, northampton county, local/state
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 55 min ago
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 28 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 53 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 54 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 11 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 10 min ago
- Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
51 min ago
- Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain
50 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
55 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police...
54 min ago