Openings set in 2011 Pa. officer killing trial
EASTON, Pa. - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Opening statements are set to begin in the murder trial of a Pennsylvania man accused of killing a police officer last summer.
Authorities say George Hitcho Jr. killed Freemansburg police officer Robert Lasso as Lasso responded to a complaint at Hitcho's home on Aug. 11.
Police say Lasso was trying to fend off Hitcho's dogs while responding to a disturbance call when Hitcho shot him in the head with a shotgun.
Hitcho's attorneys say they don't dispute their client killed Lasso, but told prospective jurors they'll be asked to consider if his actions were premeditated.
The defense has previously said it may argue Hitcho has diminished mental capacity.
Prosecutors say they'll pursue the death penalty if Hitcho is convicted of first-degree murder.
police officer killed, homicide, pennsylvania, northampton county, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 47 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 3 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 8 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 14 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 32 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 23 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 32 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
24 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
8 min ago