NJ man charged with 4th DUI in 5 weeks
VINELAND, N.J. - May 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested 45-year-old Anderson Sotomayor four times in the last five weeks on drunk driving charges.
"We're concerned because someone's going to get killed. This is a serious public safety issue, we have somebody at this point who doesn't have any regard for himself or others," Vineland Police Captain Thomas Ulrich said.
Cops allege Sotomayor has hit a police car, stop signs, poles, curbs, and on April 2nd sideswiped a school bus unloading students at West and Montrose.
His driving record includes two prior drunk driving convictions in 1989 and 1992. His license has been suspended 23 times and he's got multiple violations for speeding and careless driving. But his license was recently restored.
"What's it going take, somebody to get killed to get this guy off the road? We're talking about human lives here. They got to pull this guy's license or something," Vineland resident Frank Hofacker said.
This past weekend when Sotomayor was arrested again for DWI going the wrong way on a one-way street, the arresting officer asked the on-call judge to set bail, but the judge declined.
Vineland's municipal court administrator says there's a list of crimes for which you can set bail and drunk driving is not on it because it's considered a traffic violation.
"It's frustrating for the police department because we recognize that there's somebody who's a danger to the community," Ulrich said.
We knocked on Sotomayor's door today for a comment but he didn't answer.
Others are speaking up.
"Lock him up, lock him away. Four times? He's nothing but trouble," Vineland resident Ed Stern said.
So police aren't happy and neither are residents that Sotomayor is still driving and, they say, putting people in danger.
new jersey, cumberland county, DUI, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 7 min ago
- Temps Soar 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 3 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 5 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
1 min ago