NJ man charged with 4th DUI in 5 weeks
VINELAND, N.J. - May 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested 45-year-old Anderson Sotomayor four times in the last five weeks on drunk driving charges.
"We're concerned because someone's going to get killed. This is a serious public safety issue, we have somebody at this point who doesn't have any regard for himself or others," Vineland Police Captain Thomas Ulrich said.
Cops allege Sotomayor has hit a police car, stop signs, poles, curbs, and on April 2nd sideswiped a school bus unloading students at West and Montrose.
His driving record includes two prior drunk driving convictions in 1989 and 1992. His license has been suspended 23 times and he's got multiple violations for speeding and careless driving. But his license was recently restored.
"What's it going take, somebody to get killed to get this guy off the road? We're talking about human lives here. They got to pull this guy's license or something," Vineland resident Frank Hofacker said.
This past weekend when Sotomayor was arrested again for DWI going the wrong way on a one-way street, the arresting officer asked the on-call judge to set bail, but the judge declined.
Vineland's municipal court administrator says there's a list of crimes for which you can set bail and drunk driving is not on it because it's considered a traffic violation.
"It's frustrating for the police department because we recognize that there's somebody who's a danger to the community," Ulrich said.
We knocked on Sotomayor's door today for a comment but he didn't answer.
Others are speaking up.
"Lock him up, lock him away. Four times? He's nothing but trouble," Vineland resident Ed Stern said.
So police aren't happy and neither are residents that Sotomayor is still driving and, they say, putting people in danger.
new jersey, cumberland county, DUI, local/state
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 10 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 40 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police