NJ man charged with 4th DUI in 5 weeks
VINELAND, N.J. - May 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested 45-year-old Anderson Sotomayor four times in the last five weeks on drunk driving charges.
"We're concerned because someone's going to get killed. This is a serious public safety issue, we have somebody at this point who doesn't have any regard for himself or others," Vineland Police Captain Thomas Ulrich said.
Cops allege Sotomayor has hit a police car, stop signs, poles, curbs, and on April 2nd sideswiped a school bus unloading students at West and Montrose.
His driving record includes two prior drunk driving convictions in 1989 and 1992. His license has been suspended 23 times and he's got multiple violations for speeding and careless driving. But his license was recently restored.
"What's it going take, somebody to get killed to get this guy off the road? We're talking about human lives here. They got to pull this guy's license or something," Vineland resident Frank Hofacker said.
This past weekend when Sotomayor was arrested again for DWI going the wrong way on a one-way street, the arresting officer asked the on-call judge to set bail, but the judge declined.
Vineland's municipal court administrator says there's a list of crimes for which you can set bail and drunk driving is not on it because it's considered a traffic violation.
"It's frustrating for the police department because we recognize that there's somebody who's a danger to the community," Ulrich said.
We knocked on Sotomayor's door today for a comment but he didn't answer.
Others are speaking up.
"Lock him up, lock him away. Four times? He's nothing but trouble," Vineland resident Ed Stern said.
So police aren't happy and neither are residents that Sotomayor is still driving and, they say, putting people in danger.
new jersey, cumberland county, DUI, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized