Chesco swim coach charged for sex with student
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - May 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A high school swimming coach from Chester County has been charged with having sex with a teenage student and investigators want to know if there are more victims out there.
Kenneth Fuller, 47, of West Goshen Township, was arrested Wednesday and charged with sexual assault, corruption of a minor and related offenses.
Fuller was a swimming coach at Bayard Rustin High School in West Chester. He has been fired since the allegations surfaced.
Prosecutors say Fuller had sex with the 17-year-old student, a member of the school's swim team, on three separate occasions between April 27 and May 2. The alleged assaults did not take place on school grounds.
Court documents allege Fuller had sex with the teen at Kennett Square Hotel on two occasions and the third encounter was at a park.
Prosecutors say on all three occasions, Fuller provided the student with alcohol. On one occasion, Fuller allegedly called the school pretending to be the victim's father, had the student excused from school for a doctor's appointment, then provided a fake doctor's note for the victim to take back to school.
Neighbors say Fuller is married and has three children and two of them are close in age to the alleged victim.
"I think everyone is still in shock and very devastated about what's happened," said Janice Christian.
"My thoughts are with his kids and wife and hopefully things get straightened out somehow," said James Fay.
Fuller seemed to have an ideal life. He owned a successful water treatment business which he operated out of his house, was a former All-American at Auburn and Olympic qualifier in swimming.
In addition to his coaching duties at Bayard Rustin, authorities say Fuller coached private lessons at Cheyney University, Pennypacker Country Club, Malvern and Wedgewood Swim Clubs.
Fuller's attorney, Francis C. Miller, said "The effect this is having on his team, the coaches, the school and his family is very upsetting to him."
Investigators are trying to determine if any other incidents occurred involving other students.
"We are actively looking and actively appealing for anyone else who may have information or any other victims to come forward," said D.A. Thomas Hogan.
They are asking anyone with information to contact Chester County Detective Matthew Gordon at 610-344-6866.
pennsylvania, sex assault, teens, chester county, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 54 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
54 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos