Montco students join national anti-bully rally
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - May 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some local elementary school kids were part of a national march against bullying Thursday.
They wore anti-bullying t-shirts and took their message to the Montgomery County Courthouse steps in Norristown.
Children by the hundreds marched down to the Montgomery County Courthouse; their message loud and clear, "No more bullying." They hope adding their voices to a million others will help them be heard.
The 600 students and staff members from J.K. Gotwals Elementary School are taking a stand and joining the national Million T-Shirt March against bullying.
It is the nation's largest and most ambitious rally of its kind ever attempted.
"I love this t-shirt. First of all I think the t-shirts great, and I am happy to wear it today, even with my pearls," said Montgomery County D.A. Risa Furman.
The District Attorney traded her more official look to support the cause.
"There is no fancy message, no fancy formula, it's just about being nice to each other," said Ferman. "If we can get these kids to understand that when they are young, that will really make a difference when they get older.
The students heard from speakers like 16 year old Matty Bell who shared her own personal encounter with bullying.
"I remember being at home and going on my computer only to come across terrible things that had been written about me," said Matty. "Bullying and treating others without kindness is simply never okay, and bullying can happen to anyone."
The youngsters seem to get it.
"If you bully someone or really hurt someone, you could make them really want to hurt themselves," said Yasmin Hernandez.
"I think bullying should be stopped because its a big problem," said Rachel Poley.
The hope is that Thursday's rally will serve as a starting point that will impact the behavior of students in their school and schools across the nation, and perhaps end bullying once and for all.
bullying, children, school, norristown, pennsylvania, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 8 min ago
- Temps Soar 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 4 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 6 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
2 min ago