Philadelphia sports fans face Boston invasion
PHILADELPHIA - May 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- With the Sixers playing the Celtics and the Phillies playing the Red Sox, Philadelphia has a Boston invasion this weekend.
Action News ran into students from a school in New England, paying a visit to the Liberty Bell on Friday. The students were all clad in their Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins gear.
What do they think about Philadelphia fans?
"Well, they have some great fans, but the teams I'm not so sure about. Not as good as Boston," said Matt Faria, from Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
The Celtics are taking on the Sixers with a 2-1 lead in the playoff series.
As for the Red Sox? Well Boston doesn't like to be reminded about their last place baseball team.
"I don't even want to talk about them. They're tough, not having a great season," said Jack Kelly.
Even the most avid Philadelphia sports fan has to admit Boston has been on a pretty decent run. It's the only city in the country with four major sports teams, all of which have won a championship in the 21st century. They even have a name for it: North American Sports Slam.
The Patriots have the most titles in that span, with three, the Red Sox have two, the Bruins and Celtics each have one.
So should there be concern for Philadelphia fans?
"No, we should not be concerned; they're a minor league city. Why are we concerned about Boston? They're our little brother, why do we care about Boston? We don't," said Sebastian Marino of Mickleton, New Jersey.
"Red Sox are terrible. Let's show Boston what Philly is all about - send them back home packing, crying," said Ryan McDermond, of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
Even Mayor Michael Nutter had a comment on the Bostonian invasion. He said he isn't envious about the New England city having so many championships.
"No, you know, it is what it is, we are who we are. We are Philadelphia, and we're the best sports town in the United States of America," said Mayor Nutter.
As Mayor Nutter likes to point out, Philadelphia is one of the only places where all four major pro teams actually play within the city limits. Beantown on the other hand, is not on that list.
philadelphia, philadelphia 76ers, philadelphia phillies, massachusetts, boston, local/state, matt o'donnell
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 25 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 25 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 32 min ago
- Person possibly struck by train in Center City 49 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 7 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
25 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos