Consignment space for start-up businesses
PHILADELPHIA - May 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you're looking to start your own business, today's economy might make you think twice.
But there are some fledgling business owners in Philadelphia who are off to a good start, thanks to a woman who was determined to give them a chance.
Home Consignment Market on Main Street in Manayunk is more than just another consignment shop.
It is home to more than a half dozen start-up businesses.
"I always wanted to have a store, so this is a dream come true," said Jade Henderson.
Jade's Closet is the brainchild of 26-year old Jade Henderson.
When she and her mother first looked for store space, they were discouraged.
"Store fronts are very expensive," said Jade. "Landlords are not willing to lease their space in this economy to new businesses. So what Barbara is doing is phenomenal."
Barbara Carocci started her consignment business with a plan to recruit vendors who didn't think they could afford to be in business.
"I felt strongly that giving an opportunity to young people in start-up businesses was a great idea," said Barbara.
The building has become a kind of mini-department store.
Corey Roberts makes custom furniture. He would pay triple what he is paying for space here anywhere else in Manayunk.
Ruth Gutfryd was selling her "Unique Treasures" at her hair salon, now she is serving a different clientele.
Ruth's sister opened her own tuxedo store next door, and upstairs the owner of the bridal boutique consigns wedding gowns.
"I was on a budget and figured there has to be a lot of other women out there who want a wonderful gown, and many women who had gowns that they are not doing anything with them," explained Tawandalaia Mills.
"I've been making jewelry since I was in middle school," said Michael Portnoy.
24-year old Michael Portnoy is the owner of M. Ari Jewelry designs.
There are other shops and space for more.
"All of the vendors support one another. We get everybody's customers, and we all share, which is great," said Jade.
There will be an Open House for all the new businesses at Home Consignment Market on June 13th.
If you're looking for space to launch a start-up business, it might be the perfect place for you!
consignment, philadelphia, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 41 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 22 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
22 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
41 min ago