Son killed, father wounded in Frankford shooting
PHILADELPHIA - May 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A young man was killed and his father was wounded after a shooting in Philadelphia's Frankford section on Sunday night.
Edwin Pagan, 26, himself a father of two, was shot to death around 10:15 p.m. in the 1200 block of Adams Avenue.
The suspect was identified as 20-year-old Jalil Cooper and he remains at large.
Police are investigating the possibility that the victim was targeted. Pagan's family told Action News that he was killed in some kind of dispute over a cigarette.
Officers responded to a report of shots fired outside the home and found Pagan, who was shot in the chest, and his 50-year-old father, Victor Guzman, who was shot in the arm.
Pagan later died at Temple University Hospital. Guzman, a city corrections officer, was treated and released.
Police say Guzman was wounded trying to pull his son out of harm's way.
"I was too late, he was already on the ground&I was trying to get him in the house, had my arm around him. The bullet went through my arm into his back," Victor Guzman said.
Guzman is a corrections officer for the city of Philadelphia.
The victim's family says Edwin was a good kid, cut down so early in life.
"He's not a troublemaker he's not a thug," Victor said.
The shooting remains under investigation.
Anyone with information can call Philadelphia Police at 215.686.TIPS (8477) or online at phillypolice.com.
shooting, frankford, philadelphia, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 47 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 14 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 17 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball