Driver arrested in Montgomery County crash that left 2 dead
POTTSTOWN, Pa. - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Montgomery County say they have arrested the alleged driver in a crash that left two people dead and a third person seriously injured.
Roger Malloy, 28, was being sought in connection with the crash late Monday night in Pottstown, Pa.
He was arrested on Tuesday afternoon after an anonymous tipster told police where he could be found. Authorities say they went to that location to find Malloy allegedly fleeing on a bike. Police were able to stop and arrest him.
The crash left 15-year-old Rachel Witt, of Pottstown and 28-year-old James Crawford, of Pottstown, dead. Kendal Harper, 16, of Pottstown, was admitted to the hospital in critical condition, but has since been upgraded to serious condition.
The crash happened at 11:29 p.m. in the 500 block of State Street. Rescuers arrived to find Witt's lifeless body in the roadway. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Crawford was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Crawford and Harper were found outside the vehicle involved, a gold Lincoln Continental.
Malloy's 23-year-old brother, Robert, escaped without injury.
"I heard the accident and my son came rushing out with a flashlight and came back to me and said 'there are bodies everywhere, you've got to call 911," said Heather Borawski.
Police are still trying to figure out what the two teenagers were doing riding around with the older men on a school night.
Crawford's friends say he told them around 9:00 p.m. Monday that he was going out drinking.
Court documents show that Malloy's brother said they had been smoking K2, also known as synthetic marijuana, with the teenagers before the accident.
Malloy's driver's license had been suspended form an April 29, 2011 DUI offense. He is facing a number of charges including Accident Involving Death and Personal Injury While Not properly Licensed (3 counts) and Accident Involving Death and Personal Injury (3 counts).
Malloy is being held on $1 million bail.
accident, pottstown, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 13 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 20 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 17 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 24 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 8 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 8 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 19 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos