Crew landing plane at Phila. Int'l Airport sees possible flare
PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say someone may have shot a flare into the sky near Philadelphia International Airport as a plane was landing.
US Airways spokesman Todd Lehmacher says Flight 4321 from Elmira, N.Y., landed safely on Tuesday afternoon.
Lehmacher says crew members reported seeing a possible flare as the plane came in around 1:40 p.m.
Air traffic control transmissions obtained by Action News began:
Pilot: There's a flare back there, 500 ft Piedmont 4321 on final.
Tower: There's a what? I missed it, sorry.
Pilot: It looked like a flare that was shot up.
Tower: You said there was a flare being shot up say at you?
Pilot: Yeah, it was probably wasn't more than 50 feet off our right wing, it looked like a flare gun, it had a little canister that exploded right next to us.
Tower: Ok. Wow
Philadelphia police say they received a 911 call reporting someone had shot off a flare gun at an intersection near the airport. Officer Jillian Russell says officers went to the intersection but found no evidence of it.
Airport spokeswoman Victoria Lupica says the crew's report led to a 30-minute closure of one runway.
Lehmacher says the plane was carrying 34 passengers and three crew members.
The plane landed safely and no injuries were reported.
philadelphia, philadelphia international airport, local/state
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 23 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 23 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 32 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
23 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
12 min ago