Union seeks resignation of 3 Phila. fire officials
PHILADELPHIA - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia firefighters union is seeking the resignation of the city's fire commissioner and two deputies in connection with the deaths of two firefighters in April.
Union president Bill Gault says Commissioner Lloyd Ayers and Deputy Commissioners Ernest Hargett and John Devlin are responsible for tactical errors made during firefighting efforts at a warehouse blaze in the city's Kensington section.
Lt. Robert Neary and firefighter Daniel Sweeney were killed when a nearby furniture store collapsed as they battled the spreading flames.
Gault says department brass should have established a collapse zone around the warehouse that would have kept firefighters out of the area. He says more firefighters should have been called in.
A message left with the fire commissioner's office was not immediately returned.
philadelphia, philadelphia fire department, kensington, fire, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man abducted, robbed and shot in Rhawnhurst 21 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Tracking More Snow
3 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos