Emotional family reunion in Lehigh County
NORTHAMPTON, Pa. - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Carol Greene of San Antonio, Texas waited more than 60 years for this moment.
"It's been a long time in coming," she said.
Video recorded last weekend shows Carol meeting aunts, uncles, and her half-sister, Betty Coll of Northampton Borough, for the very first time.
"I am happy now that I have bragging rights to say, 'I have an older sister!'" said Betty.
When Carol was 6 years old, her father contracted tuberculosis and died. Her mother quickly realized that she would not be able to support Carol and her three other children on her own.
Out of desperation she made the agonizing decision to put up all four of her kids for adoption.
Carol's mother eventually got back on her feet and started a new family in the Lehigh Valley. That is something Carol knew little about until earlier this year.
"My youngest son did some research and he said, 'I've been able to find some of your family,'" said Carol.
A few phone calls and a plane ride later, Carol is now getting acquainted with her long lost family.
"It's just been wonderful. It's been 61 years and this is family I've never met. So it's been a wonderful experience and quite a blessing," she said.
But this story is far from over. Carol and Betty are now on a mission to find the three other sibilings who were put up for adoption back in the early 1950s, whose names before they were adopted were Richard, Robert and Dora Malone.
Action News was there as these newly united sisters arrived at the Lehigh County Courthouse with the hope of digging-up old adoption records that could help them find the missing pieces to this family puzzle.
"Hopefully someday we will have a big, giant reunion and we can hug and tell stories of our childhood," said Betty.
pennsylvania, adoption, lehigh county, local/state, walter perez
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 5 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 11 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
5 min ago