Emotional family reunion in Lehigh County
NORTHAMPTON, Pa. - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Carol Greene of San Antonio, Texas waited more than 60 years for this moment.
"It's been a long time in coming," she said.
Video recorded last weekend shows Carol meeting aunts, uncles, and her half-sister, Betty Coll of Northampton Borough, for the very first time.
"I am happy now that I have bragging rights to say, 'I have an older sister!'" said Betty.
When Carol was 6 years old, her father contracted tuberculosis and died. Her mother quickly realized that she would not be able to support Carol and her three other children on her own.
Out of desperation she made the agonizing decision to put up all four of her kids for adoption.
Carol's mother eventually got back on her feet and started a new family in the Lehigh Valley. That is something Carol knew little about until earlier this year.
"My youngest son did some research and he said, 'I've been able to find some of your family,'" said Carol.
A few phone calls and a plane ride later, Carol is now getting acquainted with her long lost family.
"It's just been wonderful. It's been 61 years and this is family I've never met. So it's been a wonderful experience and quite a blessing," she said.
But this story is far from over. Carol and Betty are now on a mission to find the three other sibilings who were put up for adoption back in the early 1950s, whose names before they were adopted were Richard, Robert and Dora Malone.
Action News was there as these newly united sisters arrived at the Lehigh County Courthouse with the hope of digging-up old adoption records that could help them find the missing pieces to this family puzzle.
"Hopefully someday we will have a big, giant reunion and we can hug and tell stories of our childhood," said Betty.
pennsylvania, adoption, lehigh county, local/state, walter perez
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington 40 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 47 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash