Trooper investigated in deadly Turnpike crash
PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania State Trooper is being investigated for his alleged role in a deadly car crash last Friday night on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Montgomery County.
Authorities say Trooper Searfoss has been placed on desk duty pending the outcome of the investigation.
The car fire that resulted from the crash was captured on video. It was obtained exclusively by Action News.
"As I got closer there was a lot of debris on the road and it was a large fire," Shavin Duffy of West Chester, Pa. said.
For Duffy, a musician with the band, Midnight Hour, the scene Friday night in Upper Dublin Township was absolutely chilling.
"I couldn't see, obviously, into the car, I was hoping the person had gotten out cause I did see someone standing in the left lane near the car, but I couldn't tell if someone was in the car," Duffy said.
Authorities say 21-year-old Robin Williams of the Logan section was killed after Barry Searfoss, an off-duty state trooper, rear-ended her 1997 Lincoln Town car with his 2003 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck.
He was taken into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence.
Action News spoke with Williams' devastated family late Tuesday.
"Her mom is very ill, bed-ridden, and her mom and her dad are severely devastated. They lost their baby; we lost the love of our lives. She had her whole life before her," cousin Doreen Thomas said.
"It's a great loss, a great loss. It's a shame, but our prayers go out for the family, and also for the trooper who was involved in the accident, I know his family is probably in turmoil as well," uncle Anthony McNeil said.
While authorities say the off-duty trooper has not been charged pending results of blood tests, Williams' relatives wanted to warn people in general about drinking and driving.
"People please take driving and drinking very seriously," McNeil said.
"Please, please I beg you. I lost my baby, I loved her and she loved her family," Thomas said.
The Montgomery County D.A.'s office is assisting in the investigation.
Authorities are asking anyone who may have information regarding the crash to contact the state police barracks at King of Prussia.
pennsylvania, accident, montgomery county, local/state, dann cuellar
- 51 dead, including 20 children, in Okla. tornado 33 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 26 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Edgemoor dumpster explosion leaves 1 critical 17 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished 41 min ago
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel 51 min ago
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute 39 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- 51 dead, including 20 children, in Okla....
33 min ago