Affordable crab cakes at home
EDGMONT, Pa. - May 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- On a restaurant menu, crab cakes are typically one of the pricier orders. But if you're buying them to cook at home, they can be an affordable treat. That's the concept behind Capt'n Chucky's Crab Cake Company.
Years ago, "Captain: Chuck Wojciehowski and his wife, Nancy, closed their last restaurant because they wanted to escape the long hours.
They opened a company selling crab cakes to restaurants and wholesale suppliers. Then one day, someone walked in off the street asking to buy a couple for dinner, and the business took another turn.
Today, there are four suburban store and one in Wilmington, selling five different crab cakes, plus appetizers, soups,. shrimp and lobster products...all homemade.
You may choose a traditional breaded crab cake or a very untraditional Smith Island crab cake, which is 91 per cent crab and unbreaded.
All are made to heat at home and enjoy. The company still does a good deal of wholesale business, and will custom-make products for restaurants.
About the only thing not made in-house is the selection of desserts, from Pellman's Bakery in Lancaster County. Prices are kept low so customers are more likely to return.
The Wojciehowskis are active church people and have long provided crab cakes for fundraising. It started out with their home parish in Chadds Ford, then the Knights of Columbus.
Today, they serve dozens of churches in many denominations, as well as schools and community groups. The stores are open Monday through Saturday. For more information visit their website, Capt'n Chucky's Crab Cake Company or phone 610-355-7525.
The company headquarters is at 5159 West Chester pike in Edgmont, Pa., just west of Newtown Square. There are other retail locations in Blue Bell, Eagle, Trappe and Wilmington.
The crab cakes are also available at Papa's Pizza, in the Wal Mart Shopping Center on Black Horse Pike in Turnersville, New Jersey.
food, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose