Mom accused of killing twins being held without bail
TACONY - May 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say the mother charged in the death of her twin toddlers and the poisoning of their 4-year-old sister is being held without bail.
Stacey Newkirk-Smalls is charged with two counts of Murder, Attempted Murder, Aggravated Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child and related offenses.
On Thursday, May 24, 2012, the bodies of infant twins Adam and Eve Smalls were brought out of the home on the 6300 block of Ditman Street in Tacony.
The scene unfolded about 4:00 p.m. when Ron Smalls, a corrections officer at Curran Fromhold, made frantic calls to 9-1-1 saying he had just returned home and his wife, had killed their babies and tried to poison their 4-year-old daughter.
Sources tell Action News that 41-year-old Stacey Newkirk-Smalls confessed to killing her children and trying to kill her older daughter.
"That female tells the officer that, 'I harmed my babies!' Upstairs in the front bedroom we find two infants, twins, a year and a half old, both deceased," Philadelphia police Lt. Ray Evers said.
Police say the mother smothered one child and then drowned the other. An attempt to poison the 4-year-old had failed.
Authorities say that Stacey also attempted to kill herself by taking pills and cutting her wrists.
The 4-year-old child was taken to St. Christopher's Hospital in good and stable condition and Stacey was also hospitalized overnight.
In a brief interview with Action News reporter Vernon Odom, Ron Smalls said he had a phone conversation with his wife Thursday before the incident.
"She didn't sound right...no inclination that it would come to this," he said.
Police have not said what the motive may be, but sources say there were recent signs of trouble within the Smalls' marriage.
When asked about the alleged marital tension between the two, Ron said, "We've had some problems...I'd suggested therapy for both of us. She didn't think it was important."
Sources say Stacy left behind what was supposed to be a suicide note indicating she was upset with her husband for allegedly having an affair with a family member.
As far as what the future holds, "I'll speak to her at some point but not now, maybe not ever," said Ron.
Stacey remains on suicide watch in police custody.
philadelphia, child death, tacony, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 41 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 40 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif. 5 min ago
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 21 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
29 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
22 min ago