Arrest made in stabbing death of Camden mother
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a man stabbed a woman in front of their two children Friday night. Now, the father is facing murder charges.
24-year-old Julio Martinez, of the 200 block of Baldwin's Run in Camden, was taken into custody Saturday and is charged with murder.
Investigators say it was around 11:10 p.m. Friday when Martinez broke into the home of 22-year-old Sophia Ortiz through a second story window. They say he kicked open the door to a bedroom where Ortiz and others in the apartment were hiding. He then allegedly stabbed her with a knife in front of their two children.
After Martinez fled the apartment, Ortiz managed to dial 9-1-1. She was taken to Cooper University Hospital where she died three hours later while in surgery.
Martinez is currently being held in the Camden County Jail awaiting arraignment.
The children were not harmed.
stabbing, camden, new jersey, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Teen shot in Wilmington 37 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition