Arrest made in stabbing death of Camden mother
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a man stabbed a woman in front of their two children Friday night. Now, the father is facing murder charges.
24-year-old Julio Martinez, of the 200 block of Baldwin's Run in Camden, was taken into custody Saturday and is charged with murder.
Investigators say it was around 11:10 p.m. Friday when Martinez broke into the home of 22-year-old Sophia Ortiz through a second story window. They say he kicked open the door to a bedroom where Ortiz and others in the apartment were hiding. He then allegedly stabbed her with a knife in front of their two children.
After Martinez fled the apartment, Ortiz managed to dial 9-1-1. She was taken to Cooper University Hospital where she died three hours later while in surgery.
Martinez is currently being held in the Camden County Jail awaiting arraignment.
The children were not harmed.
stabbing, camden, new jersey, local/state
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Lots of clouds, damp today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge