Chester casino seeks gains in crowded Pa. market
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - May 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Harrah's casino in the struggling Philadelphia suburb of Chester isn't alone anymore - and it's fighting to make its way in the region's crowded gambling market.
Five years ago, Harrah's Chester Casino & Racetrack opened as the third casino in Pennsylvania. It was a novelty that pulled in Philadelphia-area gamblers thrilled not to have to drive to Atlantic City, N.J.
Now, Pennsylvania has 11 casinos, four of them in the Philadelphia area. Harrah's slots business is hurting and it's scrambling to make changes and fighting for market share.
The casino is rebranding itself as Harrah's Philadelphia and attempting to draw in more gamblers from farther away. It's also working on upgrading its food and entertainment offerings and switching out games more often.
General Manager Ron Baumann says those changes come as the casino plans for growth this year.
casinos, chester, pennsylvania, local/state
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 42 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 59 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila.
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 48 min ago
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones 38 min ago
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked...
42 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
48 min ago