Gloucester Co. vets honored on Memorial Day
MONROE TWP., N.J. - May 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Wreaths were placed to honor Gloucester County residents who went to war and made the ultimate sacrifice.
"This is the cost for us to have freedom and it hurts," said Edward Engelbrecht.
Engelbrecht sat amongst hundreds of people at the Gloucester County Veterans Memorial Cemetery to salute our fallen service members.
The event attracted more than 500 veterans, friends and family who say it's important to take time and reflect on what this long, holiday weekend is truly about. Engelbrecht's dad was in World War II and on Sunday he paid tribute in front of his father's final resting place.
"I was in the service but I didn't go to Nam. I was lucky - some of my friends over there weren't so lucky," said Engelbrecht.
A wreath display honored those who died while fighting for our everyday freedoms.
"People gave the ultimate sacrifice for us and that is why we come," said Barry Zane.
The honor was also marked by a military salute while traditional patriotic sounds played in the background.
More than 1300 Gloucester County veterans are buried in the cemetary. On Friday, flags were placed next to each gravesite to honor every one of them.
"I don't think people realize how much this country has done for us," said Shirley Fekete.
It's a day of reflection for many - a day to help keep the memory of our nation's heroes alive.
new jersey, gloucester county, memorial day, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?