Rescue crews in NJ search for missing boy
LONG BRANCH, N.J. - May 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rescue crews will resume their search for a 17-year-old boy who disappeared while swimming near a beach in Long Branch.
Family and friends reported the teen missing shortly before 5:45 p.m. Sunday. Police say friends told them he was swimming when he went under and didn't come back up.
The Star-Ledger reports that local police called in the U.S. Coast Guard which dispatched a rescue boat and helicopter. Dive teams and a state police helicopter also provided assistance.
Officials say the search was suspended Sunday night but will resume early Monday.
Long Branch Police Lt. Frank Morey says it's unclear why the teen disappeared.
Information from: The Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger
new jersey, ocean county, missing person, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 57 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 53 min ago
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 55 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 51 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
57 min ago
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
55 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
53 min ago