Rescue crews in NJ search for missing boy
LONG BRANCH, N.J. - May 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rescue crews will resume their search for a 17-year-old boy who disappeared while swimming near a beach in Long Branch.
Family and friends reported the teen missing shortly before 5:45 p.m. Sunday. Police say friends told them he was swimming when he went under and didn't come back up.
The Star-Ledger reports that local police called in the U.S. Coast Guard which dispatched a rescue boat and helicopter. Dive teams and a state police helicopter also provided assistance.
Officials say the search was suspended Sunday night but will resume early Monday.
Long Branch Police Lt. Frank Morey says it's unclear why the teen disappeared.
Information from: The Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger
new jersey, ocean county, missing person, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 5 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 3 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
11 min ago
- Woman shot while sleeping in South...
5 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
3 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos