Rescue crews in NJ search for missing boy
LONG BRANCH, N.J. - May 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rescue crews will resume their search for a 17-year-old boy who disappeared while swimming near a beach in Long Branch.
Family and friends reported the teen missing shortly before 5:45 p.m. Sunday. Police say friends told them he was swimming when he went under and didn't come back up.
The Star-Ledger reports that local police called in the U.S. Coast Guard which dispatched a rescue boat and helicopter. Dive teams and a state police helicopter also provided assistance.
Officials say the search was suspended Sunday night but will resume early Monday.
Long Branch Police Lt. Frank Morey says it's unclear why the teen disappeared.
Information from: The Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger
new jersey, ocean county, missing person, local/state
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle 46 min ago
- Philadelphia couple stabbed in their home, son arrested 19 min ago
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot 40 min ago
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos