Beautiful weekend for parades and the beach
NORTHFIELD, N.J. - May 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The American Legion riders led off Northfield, New Jersey's annual Memorial Day parade down Shore Road. Area veterans rode in the parade while those watching applauded and reflected on what this day is all about.
"It's about the men and women that gave their sacrifice during this time. That's what it's all about - people who have given their lives for our freedom," said Northfield resident Dave Gelona.
David Leopardi tells us, "My brother-in-law was a WWII Marine, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima. They're the guys."
The Mainland Regional High School marching band belted out a patriotic song. Children and families were waving small American flags and lined the route. The hope for many watching the parade is that the younger generation will come to understand the sacrifice that was made by generations of soldiers and sailors that came before them.
Hermene Potts explains, "We want them to see all the excitement of Memorial Day and what our country has done for us. And God bless America."
"I think it's important for future generations to remember what former generations have done so that we have all the freedoms that we have," said Debbie Tai.
There was a parade of a different kind on the boardwalk in Ocean City this morning as thousands of people hit the boards for a stroll or a bike ride.
"I had to take the opportunity. This is God's opportunity, like come out. Gotta have fun with the family. This is great. Amazing," said Moses Rodriguez of northeast Philadelphia.
Though not nearly as hot as it is inland, it was toasty on the beach but there was a great breeze. Lots of folks are even swimming already. People set up camp early to squeeze as much as they possibly could out of this beautiful weekend, kicking off the summer season at the shore.
military, memorial day, atlantic county, ocean city, ocean county, cape may county, new jersey, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book