Beautiful weekend for parades and the beach
NORTHFIELD, N.J. - May 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The American Legion riders led off Northfield, New Jersey's annual Memorial Day parade down Shore Road. Area veterans rode in the parade while those watching applauded and reflected on what this day is all about.
"It's about the men and women that gave their sacrifice during this time. That's what it's all about - people who have given their lives for our freedom," said Northfield resident Dave Gelona.
David Leopardi tells us, "My brother-in-law was a WWII Marine, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima. They're the guys."
The Mainland Regional High School marching band belted out a patriotic song. Children and families were waving small American flags and lined the route. The hope for many watching the parade is that the younger generation will come to understand the sacrifice that was made by generations of soldiers and sailors that came before them.
Hermene Potts explains, "We want them to see all the excitement of Memorial Day and what our country has done for us. And God bless America."
"I think it's important for future generations to remember what former generations have done so that we have all the freedoms that we have," said Debbie Tai.
There was a parade of a different kind on the boardwalk in Ocean City this morning as thousands of people hit the boards for a stroll or a bike ride.
"I had to take the opportunity. This is God's opportunity, like come out. Gotta have fun with the family. This is great. Amazing," said Moses Rodriguez of northeast Philadelphia.
Though not nearly as hot as it is inland, it was toasty on the beach but there was a great breeze. Lots of folks are even swimming already. People set up camp early to squeeze as much as they possibly could out of this beautiful weekend, kicking off the summer season at the shore.
military, memorial day, atlantic county, ocean city, ocean county, cape may county, new jersey, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 48 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 41 min ago
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos