Delaware County courthouse reopens after bomb scare
MEDIA, Pa. - May 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Employees have returned to work at the Delaware County Government Center and Courthouse complex after a bomb threat prompted an evacuation Tuesday morning.
The evacuation ended shortly before 1:00 p.m. today. The decision to resume normal business was made by County Council after conferring with law enforcement that the complex had been searched thoroughly and the facilities were safe to reenter.
It was just after 10:00 a.m. when all employees at the courthouse, located in Media, were asked to evacuate the building.
A source close to the situation tells Action News that officials received a phoned in bomb threat over the weekend from someone with a "foreign voice" expressing that something would happen on Memorial Day.
The individual then called again after figuring out that the courthouse would be closed because of the holiday and then reiterated the bomb threat for today.
Eight specially trained K-9 teams were brought in to help search the facilities for explosives, but nothing was found.
A number of agencies are now investigating.
Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
media, delaware county, pennsylvania, bomb scare, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show 34 min ago