Man crashes stolen SUV, steals witness's car
PHILADELPHIA - May 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for a man who wrecked a stolen SUV and then stole the car of a driver who witnessed the crash.
Officers say they first spotted a stolen Ford Explorer in Kensington at Kensington and Alleghany Streets around 12:30 Thursday morning. Police say the suspect spotted officers and floored it onto I-95 and the officer lost track of him. Police say they did not chase the vehicle due to the police department's new "no-chase" policy. The department says the policy cuts down on the danger to the public.
Later, Police say the suspect slammed into another car at 5th and Callowhill Streets in Spring Garden, and flipped over. The force of the collision tossed the stolen car onto it's side, sending that car about a block down the street. A nearby officer heard the boom and rushed to the scene. Authorities say the suspect climbed out of the wreck and got into a scuffle with that officer. The officer tased him but the suspect managed to break free. A woman had witnessed the crash, stopped and called 911. The suspect jumped into that witness's car and took off.
No injuries have been reported. Police are now searching for the suspect. He was last seen driving a black Honda sedan with a Delaware license plate.
philadelphia, spring garden, kensington, theft, stun gun, accident, local/state
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!