Driver faces charges after striking school bus
UNION TOWNSHIP, Pa. - May 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- The driver of a minivan is facing charges after police say she struck the back of a school bus and drove away as passengers were exiting in Berks County.
The incident happened on Tuesday at 3:45 p.m. on SR-724 in Union Township.
Officials say a school bus was stopped and unloading one passenger with the red lights activated and stop arm extended, when a grey minivan approached, was unable to stop, and struck the rear of the bus.
Police say the grey minivan backed away from the bus and then proceeded to pass the bus on the right as the bus was still stopped.
None of the 25 Daniel Boone Middle School students aboard the bus were injured.
On Thursday, Birdsboro Police received an anonymous tip that the minivan was located at a local repair shop.
The owner of the shop had a grey van in his garage that was brought in for repair on Tuesday around 4:30 p.m.
Birdsboro Police then notified Pennsylvania State Police Reading.
The driver of the minivan was interviewed by State Police and admitted to being the driver of the minivan that struck the bus.
The driver, identified as 30-year-old Jessica Smith, will be charged with accidents involving attended vehicle or property, meeting or overtaking school bus, and related offenses.
Earlier on Thursday, police released surveillance video of the incident that was taken from a camera on another school bus.
berks county, pennsylvania, hit and run, school bus, reading, accident, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 5 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey 5 min ago
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing 5 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA